Job Description
Teaching
Assistant
Haochen
Shi
It is always exciting to share something that you are
passionate about to people around you. Today I would like to share my
experience as a teaching assistant for the FBE (Finance and Business Economics)
department at the Marshall School of Business. Working as a teaching assistant
is an excellent part-time job for students while they are completing their
college. Maybe after reading the article, you would want to become a teaching
assistant as well.
Teaching Assistant is a part-time job offered by the
university that every student can apply. At the Marshall School of Business, a
teaching assistant for an undergraduate course would have two primary duties:
help with grading various assignments and assisting with office hours. Last
semester, I worked with professor Juhani Linnainmaa for his upper division
investment class. There were two teaching assistants, me and another Ph.D.
student, who facilitate professor with the course material. My chief task was
to grade all the assignments and exams for all three sessions, and my coworker
was mainly responsible for hosting office hours.
There are three aspects that I would like to discuss
that would help you understand my experience better:
- Job Application Process
- Grading Work
- Working with Professor and Students
I will explain each of the three aspects in detail.
Job
Application Process
People always have the misconception that it is
challenging to become a teaching assistant. In fact, there is only a little prerequisite
for someone to apply for the job. Everyone is eligible to apply for teaching
assistant if he or she has completed the course with a decent grade. The only
actual requirement for the position is that the student is interested in the
subject area. I took the investment course taught by professor Linnainmaa
during my sophomore year. And I was fond of the subject covered by the class. I
also enjoyed the teaching style of professor Linnainmaa. Therefore, I reached
out to the professor to see if there was any available position for his
teaching assistant. Luckily, the department and the professor were looking for
new hires.
The next procedure in the application process was to
negotiate the pay rate with the professor and fill out the paperwork. Although
teaching assistant is only a part-time job, its pay rate is decent, usually
from $15 to $20 per hour. As an international student, I filled many tax forms
and labor forms before I could officially begin my work. The school also helped
me apply for my social security card, which is an excellent benefit for
international students.
Grading
Work
Grading is the most basic task for a teaching assistant.
It is a task that is at first glance simple. There are three criteria that you
should always keep in mind when grading assignments:
- Maintaining fairness throughout your grading
- Grading with scrupulousness so that you don’t make any mistakes
- Grading with speed
At the beginning, it took me a while to learn how to
grade works from students properly. The most challenging part for me to learn
was to keep my grading standard consistent throughout the entire assignment,
mainly when I must grade almost two hundred homework by myself. Sometimes I
would forget how many points I took off for a particular type of mistake. I
would have to go back and make sure that everyone received same treatment for
same kind of error. Trying to uphold a consistent grading standard was the key;
otherwise, there would be lots of complaints from the students. Speed is
another key metrics when it comes to grading. It is a matter of practice to
increase your grading speed. When I first started, I was a slow grader; and I
also made lots of small mistakes when calculating and entering the grades. I
felt embarrassed when students would email me and tell me that there was a
calculation mistake for their grade. Then, I became more careful and scrupulous
when I was grading. After I have familiarized myself with grading papers, I was
able to finish all the work for an exam in two days.
Working
with Students
In my opinion, grading is the dull and vapid part of
the job. On the other hand, interacting with students is the more exciting part
of the job where my passion lies. Due to excess workload from my other classes,
I couldn’t host many office hours that would allow me to meet students as much
as I wanted. But I occasionally would show up and help with answering questions
from students, especially during the exam period. Before each midterm, I would
receive many emails from students asking me questions regarding the exam. I
always loved to help them with their questions. I remembered one time I was
responding emails from a student late at night until I was sure that the
student understood the problem he had. I felt accomplished and fulfilled when I
was helping students resolve their questions. I felt even happier when I saw
students who have improved their grades throughout the semester.
Takeaways
As you can tell, I loved the work that I did as a
teaching assistant. And there are many things that I learned from my position.
Being a teaching assistant helped me become more organized as a person. And it
also honed my interpersonal skills. Hopefully, you would want to become a
teaching assistant after reading this article.
Readability Stats:

Hi Tony,
ReplyDeleteI enjoyed reading your post on being a TA. I didn't know TA makes so much more than a normal college worker in library or front desk position. I liked that you outlined the process of applying for the job and the responsibilities that go with it.
Keep up the good work!
Claire
Hi Tony,
ReplyDeleteI liked reading about your experience as a TA. The job application process section provides some very useful information and it's interesting to know that you can actually negotiate the pay rate with your professor. I can really see your passion in Finance!
Eileen
Hi Tony,
ReplyDeleteI found your post about being a TA very interesting. I have interacted with so many TA's during my time at USC and the ones who care about their job really makes a difference to students! I am glad that you found a job that you like so much. I had always thought that being a TA was only open for graduate students.
-Haakon
Hi Tony,
ReplyDeleteI enjoyed reading your post! It was very informative, and you explain your duties as a TA very well. It is nice to see how much you loved your job and the responsibilities it entailed. Do you plan to continue being a TA?
Best,
Angela